[opensuse] Re: Re: Re: Gmail replies to opensuse-stAJ6ESoqRxg9hUCZPvPmw-XMD5yJDbdMReXY1tMh2IBg-XMD5yJDbdMReXY1tMh2IBg-XMD5yJDbdMReXY1tMh2IBg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx are rejected.
  • From: Michael Powell <nightrecon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 04:07:48 -0400
Basil Chupin wrote:

[snip]
Just upgraded my M5 kernel to 3 and nvidia drivers to 280.13. Desktop
effects are good now (was having lots of problems) but I am still having
a problem with cursor and keyboard lag. Kind of hard to tell where I am
on the screen and typing characters is kind of funky with the delay. My
apologies.

-Mike

I don't know what your system is like (CPU, RAM, whatever) but here are
a couple of thoughts: do you have Nepopuke running? and which version of
Firefox are you running? The reason about asking the last question is
that FF versions earlier than #7 are 'memory hogs'. And re Nepopuke, it
takes up memory when it trying to scan your system for files to add to
its db.

So far I've been lucky wrt Nepomuk. After the initial setup it now only runs
an intense scan for about 20 seconds on desktop startup, then it's out of
the way. System is a lowly Athlon II X4 630 with a fair overclock, 4GB RAM,
and a Palit GTS-450 video card with dual monitors.

[snip]

But to be brutally honest, I don't know what was causing my "lags" as
even now I get the occasional message telling me that the kernel had an
"'oops, kernel, panic attack'" - and then, in most cases followed by the
whole system freezing -- as well as the system randomly freezing with no
"woopsy" messages: everything just freezes. This has been going on for
[snip]

Well, this is really me just being a version whore testing out the 12.1
Milestone 5. I seem to have KDE 4.7.1 now with some new code in KWin. Having
much better luck wrt desktop effects and nvidia driver. Last thing left was
the mouse and keyboard lag - I just found if I change the compositing from
OpenGL to Xrender this lag is gone completely!

But we are drifting way OT here, so I think I'll call it quits on this
thread for now. See ya on down the list :-)

-Mike