Re: [opensuse] Video clips on CNN.COM International and US editions
On Saturday 03 September 2011 17:43:20 Basil Chupin wrote:
The US edition has two video display modes, a) the same as that
described above (with the same problem), and b) a newer and
niftier, apparently still experimental mode, which occupies more
of the main Firefox window, does not have the buffer problem, and
until a day or two ago was a pleasure to use.

Now, however, no clips function in either mode on the US edition.
Clicking on any link to a clip causes FF to put up a large
error-message frame announcing that "The connection was
reset.....", and the tab to say "Problem loading page". Pressing
the Back key returns me to the previous (non-video) page.
Presumably not every viewer of the site encounters this problem,
so I would like to find a way to diagnose what is happening, and
hopefully to work around it. Here is an example of a problematic
clip, but again, any other on the site would do as well (or as
poorly):

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/topvideos/2011/09/02/nr-suspect-
urinates-in-court-trash.cnn?hpt=hp_t2

Firefox identifies itself thus:
5.0
Firefox for openSUSE
openSUSE 11.4

My response may be of no satisfaction to you but I can view the
above videos you mention without any problems.

The first thing which comes to my mind is: when was the last time
you did an upgrade/update to your system? For example, flash was
upgraded a day or so ago.

Also, I am using Firefox #9 (Nightly) [although I think that the
official FF version now available for oS 11.4 is #6] on a 32-bit os
11.4 KDE 4.7 system with 1.5GB of RAM and have never 'fiddled' with
any buffering settings (didn't even know that such a thing exists -
does it?)

BC

I've upgraded FF and backgraded Flash as you suggested, and that has
fixed the main problem. No doubt it was removing the Flash beta that did
the trick. Since the CNN beta display functions well, and it will surely
in time replace the older mode even on the International edition, that
should be the end of the matter. But I am curious about why there should
be an apparently too small buffer on the older display. My connection is
10MB ADSL -- I have checked it on the ISP's online speed monitor. What
is imposing the frequent pauses for the display to catch up? The problem
does not exist on other sites.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on