Re: [opensuse] Video clips on CNN.COM International and US editions
On Saturday 03 September 2011 17:43:20 Basil Chupin wrote:
On 03/09/11 20:30, Stan Goodman wrote:
This website is my source for foreign news, and I use both the US
and International editions. There are problems with both, but they
are different.

The International edition is still using the video display format
that has been standard for a few years. Example:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2011/09/02/damon-libya-
tripoli-security.cnn?&hpt=hp_c2

although there is nothing specific about this one. It displays
well, and the only trouble with it is that it needs a larger
buffer than it has, because it is interrupted every few seconds
while it catches up. This is not a new problem, and has been
annoying for a long time. I am still able to use this site. Is
there a way for me to enlarge the video buffer? How?

The US edition has two video display modes, a) the same as that
described above (with the same problem), and b) a newer and
niftier, apparently still experimental mode, which occupies more
of the main Firefox window, does not have the buffer problem, and
until a day or two ago was a pleasure to use.

Now, however, no clips function in either mode on the US edition.
Clicking on any link to a clip causes FF to put up a large
error-message frame announcing that "The connection was
reset.....", and the tab to say "Problem loading page". Pressing
the Back key returns me to the previous (non-video) page.
Presumably not every viewer of the site encounters this problem,
so I would like to find a way to diagnose what is happening, and
hopefully to work around it. Here is an example of a problematic
clip, but again, any other on the site would do as well (or as
poorly):

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/topvideos/2011/09/02/nr-suspect-
urinates-in-court-trash.cnn?hpt=hp_t2

Firefox identifies itself thus:
5.0
Firefox for openSUSE
openSUSE 11.4

My response may be of no satisfaction to you but I can view the above
videos you mention without any problems.

Nothing could surprise me less.

The first thing which comes to my mind is: when was the last time you
did an upgrade/update to your system? For example, flash was upgraded
a day or so ago.

I have not updated or upgraded lately. My Flash plugin is
11.0.1.60_beta1-1.1. Oddly, the available is 10.3.183.7-0.2.1; does it
want me to fall back?

The available Firefox is 6.0-2.2.1. I'll upgrade to that. I don't know
why it didn't do this automatically, which is what usually happens.

The system is 64bit, I neglected to say.

Also, I am using Firefox #9 (Nightly) [although I think that the
official FF version now available for oS 11.4 is #6] on a 32-bit os
11.4 KDE 4.7 system with 1.5GB of RAM and have never 'fiddled' with
any buffering settings (didn't even know that such a thing exists -
does it?)

I have no idea, which is why I asked. But the only explanation I see for
the behavior of the older display mode is that it needs more buffer.

Thanks...

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on