Re: [opensuse] Grub hd device disappears solved
Problem found.
There was in the grub/device.map file a assignment on hd1 to a no longer existing disk.

On 02/09/11 13:37, Hans de Faber wrote:
Using:
Linux 2.6.37.6-0.7-desktop x86_64
System: openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64)
KDE: 4.6.00 (4.6.0) "release 6"

Hi listmates,

A week ago I bought a sata ssd device to speed up the boot process.
So I installed it on the next free sata connection and copied (with
fsarchiver) my existing OS.

But things went wrong.

To make a long story short, what happened ?
The hd designation disappeared in the chrooted situation.
1. bios and grub (the normal boot starting situation)
hd0 = disk a
hd1 = disk b
hd2 = disk c
2. rescue system and grub
hd0 = disk a
hd1 = disk b
hd2 = disk c
3. rescue system and chroot to destination system
hd0 = disk a
hd1 disappeared
hd2 = disk c

Result, I can't do a grub setup on my destination hd1.

What is the reason that hd1 is not detected with a copied OS in the
chrooted grub situation ???
UUID is freshly generated on the copied disk.
If I do a fresh install hd1 is detected

Does somebody have any idea ?

Thanks, Hans

Thanks