Re: [opensuse] Recover Linux Raid 0 with 2x2port 3Ware Raid 1 cards
On 9/1/2011 11:38 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Brian K. White wrote:

Planning is wise, but that doesn't change the fact that it's an
inherently inflexible solution that's waiting for you to slip up to
burn you.

If you didn't happen to have any spare scsi disks on hand, most people
today would not be able to lay their hands on one in less than 24 to
48 hours no matter how much they're willing to pay for overnight,

If ordered before 17:00 and in stock, delivery usually follows the next
day with regular Priority Mail. (that's from a normal web-shop
available to everyone).

So posts the man from Z├╝rich, a country of 15,940 square miles ;-)

Regardless, a hardware array will typically be configured with 1 spare
drive sitting idle, so you'd be replacing the failed drive a while
after your array had already recovered. No need to hurry at all.

Plus one on the hot spare(s).

But that raises another issue. When the customer called me sevral
years ago because his system was down, I found that his hardware controller
was reporting a degraded raid 5. Turns out the hot spare had been
put into use 6 months earlier, and a second drive had failed.

Since they seldom looked at the server, and never rebooted it
they got no warning of this at all.

If my Software Raid so much as hiccups, I get an email from mdadm.

If you buy all your disks for the array at the same time you have to
be prepared for them to fail very close to each other.