Re: [opensuse] camera, skype, microphone
On 09/01/2011 12:46 PM, Stan Goodman wrote:
On Thursday 01 September 2011 04:52:59 George P. Olson wrote:
On Wednesday 31 August 2011 6:12:16 PM Sven Burmeister wrote:
Another way of doing this is using KDE's systemsettings module for
sound and assigning devices to different "actions", i.e. capturing
sound/video etc.

Sven

The system settings worked! Great, now I can have a conversation on
skype without having to hold a desk microphone.

Whoa! In your precious not, you said you couldn't find the needed sub-
applet (neither can I), and suddenly "it worked". Where is this thing
that worked.

I went to the system settings, scrolled down to the hardware section, and clicked "multimedia". From there I clicked on the icon labeled "phonon" on the left, and then under "audio capture" on the right, under "communication", there was a tab to prioritize audio capture devices. I put the webkam at the top of that list, and now I can be heard by the other side on skype.

It still doesn't allow my webcam software, wxcam, to record sound along with video. I am still looking to figure that one out.

Now for the video - where do I need to look to get skype, and the
rest of my system, to fix the settings for my webcam? Skype shows
the image from my webcam, but it is very dark and therefore
basically unusable. WXcam is reading my webcam video with very clear
brightness, but it won't record audio. It says the webcam device is
on /dev/video0. I can see that file in my filesystem, but I think it
is a machine language file or something. I would not know how to
open it and look and see what is in it. I do not see anything in the
system settings module about how to modify the settings for a
webcam.

George