Re: [opensuse] 11.3 i586 - firefox crash and desktop lockup after updates
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 23:58:13 +0100
Am 30.12.2010 23:39, schrieb David C. Rankin:
Sometimes you have to hit me with a big stick before I get it :p

rpm -e java-1_6_0-openjdk-plugin

firefox started and loaded without the immediate crash, but then about 3/4 of
the way through the transfer of the mozilla page telling you that firefox was
updated, it locked my box up requiring a hard reset? (I guess there was still
part of the plugin resident in memory)

After the reboot, firefox loaded fine. So, as usual, you nailed it! The
question
now becomes -- What is wrong with the IcedTeaPlugin?

I will probably never notice it missing, so I'm not that concerned about it,
but
what I don't know is -- what additional information can I post that will help?
Just let me know and I'm happy to do it. Thanks again for your help.

I actually have no idea. I'm basically never using Java applets in the
browser but I hear regularly about frequent crashes with every other
version of IcedTea. My advice to people relying on Java applets is to
use the sun plugin and jre instead which usually works fine.

Wolfgang