Re: [opensuse] Question about Free Software policies within the openSUSE Project
  • From: Kostas Boukouvalas <boukouvalas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 00:42:12 +0200
Στις 24/12/2010 02:34 πμ, ο/η Brian K. White έγραψε:

Yes if you look you'll see I work for a company that sells software.
No contradiction. It's not open source but each customer gets the
source if they buy the software

This _could_ in fact be Free Software. Sometimes someone has to read a lot of times the Free Software Definition in order to understand exactly what it says. The company _is not obliged_ to share the source code *for no money* if they don't want to. But if they give their customers the power to do that (meaning to share the code they received along with the software binaries they bought) if they want to then it is ok with the Freedom #2.

It is not Free Software if the company is the only holder-developer of the source code and does not give the source code even if someone pays for.

But I can't really tell for sure because I don't know if the software is ok with the other 3 essential freedoms.

Read more at http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html