Re: [opensuse] Question about Free Software policies within the openSUSE Project
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 00:14:18 +0100
On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 00:07, Michael S. Dunsaavage wrote:
On 12/23/2010 5:47 PM, Kostas Boukouvalas wrote:

My opinion is only that if just one of the gigantic distributions like
Redhat-Fedora SLED/S-openSUSE and Debian-Ubuntu would decide one day to
create a 100% free software edition of itself, that would help a lot to
promote Free Software and have a very strong player, that gnewSense, Ututo
and others are not and would take many years to catch.

I think you're looking for a solution to a non problem. I don't think
promoting Free Software is an issue. I think promoting *Open Source*
software is more of an issue. I've made my points already for why having a
100% free distribution would be an issue. In utopia, maybe a totally free
big distribution would be possible. But in reality, it's impossible. Again,
it's all about choice.

Since this is ultimately about choice.... why not open an openFATE on
this (directed at the OP)... let the votes speak for themselves.
https://features.opensuse.org/ This is the tool openSUSE suggestions,
ideas and proposals should be tracked in....

C.