[opensuse] Can't login -> 'Module is unknown' - libresmgr.so.1 invalid ELF header?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 19:06:26 -0600
Guys,

Here is a new one for me. I have an (old) backup box running 10.3 that
needs an
update, but I have to get it to boot first. Currently, the box looks to boot
normally (it boots to runlevel 3). The only process that shows a fail is
'resmgr'. At the login prompt, I type my name and pw as normal, then the
following occurs:

You have new mail.

Module is unknown

Welcome to openSUSE 10.3 i586 -- Kernel 2.6.22.19-0.3 default (tty1)

login:

I get thrown right back to the login prompt. So I know I'm sitting there
looking at a 100% running system (samba, apache2, postfix, mysql, all running
just fine...), but I have no way to login.

Looking at the error with resmgr, I see the following boot message:

... lib/libresmgr.so.1 invalid ELF header

Huh? I know it is close to Christmas, but I don't need any invalid elfs in my
box. Bahumbug... So googling ELF it's some Extended Language Facility, but what
I don't know is "is this related to the problem logging in?" If so, how do I
fix it?

I thought about booting from the install media and then chrooting the
install,
but if I can't log in, I'm not sure that will work. (I'll try later regardless)

Bottom line - if libresmgr.so.1 has a bad ELF header can that be the
cause of
the no login? If so, how best to fix. Boot from install, chroot & reinstall
resmgr? What say the gurus?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC