Re: [opensuse] kde4: 1.6G nepomuk/ (any way to limit this?)
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 02:04:56 -0600
On 12/15/2010 01:32 AM, C wrote:
On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 04:59, David C. Rankin wrote:
Guys

Wondering why my .kde4 directory had ballooned to 2.7G, I did a du
-hs on share/apps and noticed that nepomuk was eating 1.6G of space. I never
use this thing and to my understanding it is still an application looking
for a use. Yes, it is supposedly some generic metadata handler/index thing.
So far I've never found a use for it. However, I'm concerned that it is one
of those things that is integrated into everything like windows explorer and
I don't know if I can just turn it off without further destabilizing kde4.

If I can turn it off, how do you do it? If I can't, then how can I
tell it to only use 50M or so? 1.6G is just nuts. I suspect many of you have
much larger indexes. Has anyone looked to tone this thing down and keep the
index size smaller?

All ideas are welcome. (even the -- it's just like beagle -- kill it)
approach would be fine.

Go to Configure Desktop> Desktop Search and disable it. This does
not delete the index though.

C.

Thanks C & Rodney,

I found the setting, now I'll kill it and see what happens. I suspect I'll get some performance back. Hopefully that will help with the focus lagging behind the mouse so bad. I use 'focus follows mouse' as the model and it really seems like kde4 struggles to keep up. You move the mouse across konqueror in detailed view and you can see the focus lag 1-2 files behind the mouse. I'll let you know if offloading nepomuk makes any difference.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC