[opensuse] Re: Open Source AS [Was: DHCP and Windows (yuck...)]
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 02:14:31 +0100
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Tue, 2010-12-14 at 11:36 +0100, Joachim Schrod wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:
Joachim Schrod said the following on 12/13/2010 02:12 PM:
Anton Aylward wrote:
What is it that they require from the Windows DHCP server that can't be
supplied by the Linux DHCP server?
Most probably, integration with AD.
DNS is a prerequisite for Active Directory.Active Directory cannot be
installed or configured without DNS. It really doesn't matter WHERE the
DNS comes from.
??????? DNS != DHCP
Nevertheless, it is also possible to run an AD infrastructure with
a foreign DHCP server. It will just be *much* more work without any
gain for the Windows side. That's why I wrote their reason is
*integration* with AD, not AD itself.
Back when I worked alongside a Windows group they had a lot of the back
end AD services implemented on *NIX machines for various reasons.

I have implemented AD, and don't see DHCP as a critical component; AD
seemed pretty happy with any DHCP [provided of course that was correctly
configured].

I don't know how I can express myself better than repeating it: My
comment was not about the possibility of implementation, or if it
is a critial component, or the availability of features. It was
about ease of integration and maintenance for the Windows IT admins.

It was an attempt to give a probable answer to Anton's question why
the Windows admins use the AD-integrated DHCP server instead of a
Linux one.

But I don't seem to get through with my comment, so I'll stop here.

Joachim

PS: I concur with your comments about Samba and AD that I have
deleted. But they weren't the topic I wrote about. I was concerned
with IT admins -- you know, human beings :-) -- and their work, not
with technology.