Re: [opensuse] [slightly OT:] DHCP and Windows (yuck...)
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 23:58:00 +0100

On Dec 13, 2010, at 6:16 PM, John Andersen wrote:

Ok, so turning the question around, why do you need your own DHCP
server on Linux. Just use theirs.

We make and sell Linux-based measurement systems. Part of these are diskless
VME racks and other computers that boot openSUSE (11.2 made locally in KIWI)
via dhcp/tftp. The vlan is a staging area for developing, configuring and
testing these systems. The devices are not static. They come and do at a fast
rate. They will eventually find themselves in a measurement vehicle where the
only server is an openSUSE machine. We require in no uncertain terms that our
development and configuration happen in the same way they will be used. We have
little interest in making things work in some environment other than the one
where things will be used.

The real thing is to see why we need the interloper Windows PCs on this
network. I would like to see if they could be relocated. They are the machines
that brought about the problem!

I've never met a windows box that cared where its IP came from.
Or a linux one either.

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB