Re: [opensuse] [slightly OT:] DHCP and Windows (yuck...)
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 11:06:06 -0500
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
I think this is called the 'boot host' in the Windows server. At least
the description is that it tells which tftp server from which to get the
boot image. But if we get nowhere, I will see if they will try option
66. I remember that they looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned
'option domain-name', which is what the 'domain name' is in the Linux
config file. The 'option' text was considered suspect. Why it has the
'option' text is indeed a mystery, making for tons o' fun when
translation configurations between servers. I thought there would be
some handy 'windows settings in one column' and 'linux settings in the
other column' table somewhere. It there is, it hides well.

Here's a link to a list of DHCP options:
http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/bootp/options.htm

In the Yast DHCP configuration, it's called option tftp-server-name. I'd expect such an option to be available on Windows, as in addition to tasks such as what you're doing, voice over IP phones often use TFTP to download configuration info.