Re: [opensuse] [slightly OT:] DHCP and Windows (yuck...)
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:59:08 -0500
Roger Oberholtzer said the following on 12/13/2010 10:24 AM:

First: use of MAC address can constrain who responds to what.

In the Linux world I can do this. We set up our dhcp server to ignore
unknown hosts. So we do not confuse the Windows PCs on the network. The
Windows folk claim there is no equivalent on their server. They are the
experts there.

I'm not a Windows expert but I can google and find articles on how to
set up the Windows DHCP server to work with specific MAC addresses.
Maybe the terminology is different but the function seems to be there.

Second you can have things like the following to restrict the range of
the DHCP server and thereby 'subnetting' further

#
subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.192 {
range dynamic-bootp 192.168.1.20 192.168.1.32 ;
group {

The vlan is set up via a cisco network switch. The locals will not
change it. At least not until they can see that window's dhcp server
can't be made to behave.

I'm sorry; lets try again.
This has nothing - ZILCH - to do with "subnetting"in the router sense of
the word. It is the DHCP concept of what the server is going to respond
to. It is about grouping and response. So you can put, for example,
your X-Terminals in a group and assign part of the pool of dynamic
addresses to them; you Windows workstations in another group and assign
a different part of the pool to them. This is DHCP's idea of dividing
up the network addresses. If you can't call that subnetting, then what?
The config file uses the term 'subnet'.
It has noting to do with routers, vlans or all that.

But then again, since I use Linux to run things, even with SAMBA when I
am forced top have Windows machines on the LAN, I find I can run even
the Windows need for DHCP from Linux. Are you sure you can't just turn
the Windows DHCP off?

Nope. It is used by a couple of thousand PCs when booting. This includes
two that must be on our subnet.

Well there you are! Use the DHCP concept of subnetting!

Before those arrived, we did not let
dhcp packets leave our subnet and all were happy. Now we must allow dhcp
activity to leave the subnet.

You mean you have a relay agent through a router?
'Cos that's the only way to do what you seem to be saying.
And that also means you can control and filter what goes though.

--
Quality is not an act - it is a habit. - Aristotle