Re: [opensuse] Bewildered by spontaneous grub root change from hd1 to hd2 (I don't have hd2..)
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 19:19:32 -0600
On 12/12/2010 02:30 PM, John Andersen wrote:
Did the Arch install disk some how become hd1?
Any usb sticks,phones,etc accidentally left inserted?

Nope, I checked, install disk was still reported at sr0 and no usb devices left
in (except mouse & keyboard).

The only thing I can think of is that one of the other sata drives (sde or sdf)
suddenly showed up as hd1, but that still violates the device.map definition of
hd1 for grub. Dunno?

Here is the partitions and dmraid information in case it can help explain what
is up:

[19:18 archangel:/home/david] # cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

8 16 732574584 sdb
8 48 732574584 sdd
8 32 488386584 sdc
8 64 1465138584 sde
8 65 1 sde1
8 69 1465136128 sde5
8 80 1465138584 sdf
8 81 1 sdf1
8 85 1465136128 sdf5
8 0 488386584 sda
254 0 488386583 dm-0
254 1 732574583 dm-1
254 2 72229 dm-2
254 3 2104483 dm-3
254 4 20972826 dm-4
254 5 465234336 dm-5
254 6 19534977 dm-6
254 7 120456 dm-7
254 8 39062016 dm-8
254 9 1951866 dm-9
254 10 15358108 dm-10
254 11 30716248 dm-11
254 12 7510356 dm-12
254 13 618317721 dm-13
[19:18 archangel:/home/david] # dmraid -r
/dev/sda: nvidia, "nvidia_fdaacfde", mirror, ok, 976773166 sectors, data@ 0
/dev/sdc: nvidia, "nvidia_fdaacfde", mirror, ok, 976773166 sectors, data@ 0
/dev/sdd: nvidia, "nvidia_baaccaja", mirror, ok, 1465149166 sectors, data@ 0
/dev/sdb: nvidia, "nvidia_baaccaja", mirror, ok, 1465149166 sectors, data@ 0