[opensuse] Bewildered by spontaneous grub root change from hd1 to hd2 (I don't have hd2..)
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 14:24:23 -0600
Guys,

I have managed to get myself in a number of messes over the years, but
usually
when I figure out what went wrong, I understand why. Here, I'm at a complete
loss.

This box has always booted suse on (hd0,5) arch on (hd1,5). Both hd0
and hd1
are dmraid arrays.

[01:42 archangel:/boot/grub] # cat device.map
(hd0) /dev/mapper/nvidia_fdaacfde
(hd1) /dev/mapper/nvidia_baaccaja
(fd0) /dev/fd0

The box boots suse first and then chainloads grub for the Arch install.
The
grub entry in the suse menu.lst I have always used to boot Arch is:

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: openSUSE 11.1 -
2.6.27.19-3.2 (/dev/sdc1)###
title Archlinux
rootnoverify (hd1,5)
chainloader (hd1)+1

Yesterday, I created a custom initramfs on arch, and added the
information to
grub/menu.lst. When I rebooted, I got a grub 13 error for an invalid
executable??

So I booted with the Arch install disk and chrooted my existing install
and
looked at grub. When I did my grub > find /boot/grub/stage1, grub reported
stage1 on

(hd0,4)
(hd2,4)

WTF? I don't have an hd2 and ... what the heck happened to hd1??

So I decided to give booting to hd2 a try. So I reconfigured the suse
menu.lst
file to call (hd2,5) to boot Arch, and I redid the Arch menu.lst to point
everything at (hd2,5) instead of (hd1,5) and rebooted. To my shock and surprise
- it booted just fine with all the drive number flipped from 1->2.

suse menu.lst change:

title Archlinux
rootnoverify (hd2,5)
chainloader (hd2)+1

This is bewildering and makes no sense whatsoever to me. How does my
device.map
still correctly define my (hd0) and (hd1) arrays, but grub spontaneously require
booting to /dev/mapper/nvidia_baaccaja on (hd2). Damndist thing I've ever seen.
I changed nothing as far as the drive configuration, nothing on the suse install
and I have been booting this way for quite some time. (I did add a pair of
drives several months ago, but have booted many times since)

It goes without saying, but I am at a complete loss as to 'what
happened' and
'why it happened'. Hell, I can't even think of any way it 'could have happened'.
All I did was create the custom initramfs and rebooted.

And when I rebooted, I ended up in this mess. So what say the experts.
Does
anybody see a way creating a custom initramfs could cause the grub root to
change from hd1 to hd2? I don't see how it could happen. If that isn't the
culprit, does anybody have any other ideas on how this could have happened?
--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC