Re: [opensuse] Confusion about configuring mail server...
  • From: Oddball <monkey9@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 19:54:44 +0100
Op 12-12-10 19:32, Anton Aylward schreef:
Oddball said the following on 12/12/2010 12:47 PM:

Please understand my confusion:
Fetchmail works, i only have to make the command permanent with regular
intervals.
Procmail is installed, and had prepared maildirs.
How to get the mail that fetchmail stores in /var/mymailbox, to the
maildirs in the /home/maildir/mymailbox?

I think you are terribly confused about the roles of the various
components here and how they pass information from one to another.

'fetchail' should pipe though postfix
and
postfix should then use procmail for local delivery.
I also use procmail for spam filtering

DO NOT USE 'sendmail'
Postfix is so easy to configure and sendmail is a buqqer!
I say that as someone who has use many mail systems over the last 30 years.

All the details for configuring are in how-tos you can google for.

But remember:

1. Postfix is a MTA - Mail TRANSFER Agent
2. IMAP is a mailbox access tool
3. Procmail is a local delivery rule agent

fetchmail feeds into postfix feeds into procmail feeds into your mailbox

In /etc/postfix/main.cf you want

mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail -Y -a $DOMAIN

In your .procmailrc you want

MAILDIR=/$HOME/Maildir/IMAP/ # This is the home of the mail store
DEFAULT=/$HOME/Maildir/INBOX # Inbox substitute: tell where to put
# the mail

You will also have to over-ride the IMAP server's idea of where the
INBOX is, and that will depend on which server you use. Or you could do
it in thunderbird :-)

There are many variations on all of this, but until you are more
experienced I'd strongly advise keeping it simple

As I said there are many good examples on-line if you google for them.
Here is one with explanations:
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~ian/procmail.html
Here is the one on using spamassassin
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~ian/procmail.html

I repeat, DO NOT USE sendmail

How nice! ;-)
Thnx Anton,

Now i will be able to get it done, and prepare the place for the
'mailbox' in the storage room.

mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail -Y -a $DOMAIN < Do i write this, or
is it something i have to fill in with something?

--

Enjoy your time around,

Oddball (M9.) (Now or never...)

OS: Linux 2.6.34-12-desktop x86_64