Re: [opensuse] Where is asterisk???`
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 19:43:30 +1100
On 10/12/2010 20:57, Insomniac wrote:
On Thursday, December 09, 2010 22:29 Basil Chupin wrote:
On 10/12/2010 15:03, James Knott wrote:
Correction, that should be locate, not locatedb.

I've tried installing asterisk180, on OpenSUSE 11.3, using the 1-Click
Install on software.opensuse.org/search. It appears to go through the
installation process and even shows as being installed in the software
manager, but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the disk. I've used
both find and locatedb to search for some of the files that should
have been installed. Any idea what's happened?

tnx jk

The first is, did you reboot? Often an app appears in the menu only
after a reboot.
Ugh...I hope this kludge doesn't become a standard answer, as then it will be
proof that Linux has declined to MS's level of doing anything and we all might
as well just switch over to it.

Well, I have heard this claim that there is no need to reboot a Linux distro after updates/upgrades.

However, have you not got the message after some updates/upgrades which 'tell' you that you need to reboot your system for the changes to come into effect?

No?

In which case you haven't been watching the screen or simply ignoring the message knowing that the next time when you boot up your system it is equivalent to doing an 'immediate' reboot.

(To save time and effort in arguing this point, what is the message you get when the system's kernel has been upgraded to a newer version? Your newly upgraded and now installed kernel somehow, magically, takes over and starts running your system, right? Or do you get the message that you need to reboot for the changes to become effective?

And if you now state, "Ah, but this different!", well it is not a different situation. Linux distros have to be rebooted on certain occasions for the changes to come into effect.)

BC

--
The calendar's days are numbered!