Re: [opensuse] Remote Firefox via ssh
  • From: Dave Howorth <dhoworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 16:58:40 +0000
Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
Am 10.12.2010 17:40, schrieb James Knott:
When I was recently using http://software.opensuse.org/search to install
some packages on my firewall, I used Firefox, installed on the firewall,
to access that site. However, one thing I noticed is that when I start
Firefox with ssh from an account that's also on the local computer, the
local copy of Firefox starts up, instead of the one on the firewall.
However, if I use a different account, including root, Firefox on the
firewall runs as intended. I had previously noticed the same behaviour
when attempting to run Seamonkey, on my main computer, remotely from my
notebook. Generally, when running an X app remotely, the app on the
remote computer starts. Why the difference with Seamonkey & Firefox?
All computers involved are running some version of OpenSUSE (11.0 or 11.3).

Are you sure that the local Firefox/seamonkey starts up or is it already
running? The latter is somehow normal as mozilla apps do something to
avoid running multiple instances. This is done using some X methods.
What always should work to avoid it is using -no-remote as commandline
parameter.

I can confirm what Wolfgang says. And where the executable runs also
determines which profile is used, which can lead to some 'interesting'
side effects.

I wish mozilla came with an option to disable all this unwanted
cleverness. I'd just like it to behave like any other X application.

Cheers, Dave