Re: [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: [opensuse] How do i win some space back?
  • From: Oddball <monkey9@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 22:53:06 +0100
Op 08-12-10 22:21, Anton Aylward schreef:
Oddball said the following on 12/08/2010 03:21 PM:

With POP3 you ALWAYS download ALL messages, headers and bodies.

That is not correct, with pop3, in TB, you can choose to download only
headers, or the complete body.

Not so.

With IMAP you ONLY download the messages you choose to read.

I suggest you go back and read the RFCs.
For example
<quote>
IMAP4rev1 permits manipulation of mailboxes (remote
message folders) in a way that is functionally equivalent to local
folders.
</quote>

So you see the whole hierarchy of 'folders' at the server and can use
the sever to organize and 'file away' your mail.
I use procmail to pre-sort, tag and file my incoming mail on the server
to the appropriate folders.

You simply can't do that with POP3 unless you you actually use local
folders and run then pipe it through a filter. Yes, you could do all
that with T'Bird but it gets laborious. All my mail is processed on my
server even when my workstations - which are laptops - are turned off.

<quote>
IMAP4rev1 includes operations for creating, deleting, and renaming
mailboxes, checking for new messages, permanently removing messages,
setting and clearing flags, RFC 2822 and RFC 2045 parsing, searching,
and selective fetching of message attributes, texts, and portions
thereof.
</quote>
That's the server doing all that, not your MUA.
I have lots of mailboxes
This list has a dedicated one.
It means I can choose what mail I want to look at and when rather than
having one big mailbox.

As I say, yes you can use the filters in T'Bird -- IF you are storing
locally.

The POP3 LIST command does not give the headers, only the size of the
message. The RETR gets the message, envelope and all.

Only IMAP lets you get just the envelope.
E.g.
FETCH INTERNALDATE RFC822.SIZE ENVELOPE
FETCH FLAGS BODY[HEADER.FIELDS (DATE FROM SUBJECT)]

I am allready turned....
When you realy look at it, pop3 only sucks...
All your mail scattered over x machines, netbooks and laptops, most
important your sent mail is not at one place, so you search your head
off for a reply, when you need it few months, or a year later....

Looks like a dream: all your mail at one place! Accessible from
everywhere...
I'll put in my storage room on a shelf...i have a very small b/w
monitor, to see if it works..
a hole in the wall for the networkcable that is not used now....all is
available..
I think i'll start tomorrowmorning...

--

Enjoy your time around,