Re: [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: [opensuse] How do i win some space back?
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 14:40:15 -0500
Oddball said the following on 12/08/2010 02:20 PM:

I allways leave the messages on the server, because when i tested
alphas, sometimes the os was unuseble, and i needed my mail to be read,
therefore using other os or pc's.
However i do not choose to download only the headers, because i then
have to download every message i want to read seperately.
Lazyness and ignorance , i guess, not knowing until recently, that
deleting mail on the server, is not the same as deleting messages from
my client. I thought that mails i deleted with shift+del, were gone.
This however appears to be a mistake.
With the server settings in TB, i also can choose to delete messages
without having read them.

So, what is the real advantage of imap over pop3 again?

I think you haven't read what we've been saying.

With POP3 you ALWAYS download ALL messages, headers and bodies.
With IMAP you ONLY download the messages you choose to read.

Depending on the MUA, an IMAP reader may not even retain the messages it
has downloaded. The download is only temporary. Think of it as
downloading to the screen rather than the disk. Yes, I know, its not
actually, 'cos of caching. But the point is that its not _stored_ on
the client.

The end result is that IMAP doesn't use the space on the client that
POP3 does. Which is the problem you were faced with.

Of course you can always buqqer around with things, telling an IMAP MUA
to retain the bodies or always deleting _all_ of the local copies in
POP2 mode after reading. But its apparent you weren't.

For me, the advantage of IMAP is that I can read the same messages from
any of my stations because its not downloaded onto then as is the case
with POP3

Some of us get more sophisticated. We run IMAP servers that do the
indexing and searching on the server, so even when doing a search of the
bodies there is no need to download them to the workstation.

I'm sure others can contribute additional advantages of IMAP.

--
The computing field is always in need of new cliches.
Alan Perlis