Re: [opensuse] How do i win some space back?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 15:09:36 +0100 (CET)

On Wednesday, 2010-12-08 at 11:55 +0100, Oddball wrote:

Thunderbird 3 will purge automatically if it will save N amount of
space. N is configurable, 100kb by default I think.

Right, i saw that while configuring yesterday, see what that will bring me..

Beware that there is a warning somewhere about doing things while this purging/compacting is running. It is recomended to stop and watch the screen till it says "finished". Mine pops a message asking if I want to compact now, I say yes, and a few seconds later it finishes. My old computer took minutes.

There are two places where Th. wastes space: one is "deleted" mails. They are not really deleted, they are simply marked as deleted. If you have an inbox folder and move mails elsewhere, they are copied and marked as deleted in the inbox, still using space. It can grow a lot. Compacting the folder saves a lot of space.

The other place is the cache. There is one for reading off-line. I think it may have the same problem. If you are using a local imap server, there is no sense to keep that cache, you can disable it.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)