Re: [opensuse] How do i win some space back?
  • From: Ken Schneider - openSUSE <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 09:00:17 -0500
On 12/07/2010 05:30 AM, Dave Howorth pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
dwgallien wrote:
Can i just empty these dirs without destroying thunderbird?
Or what would be the best i could do?

Did you look for a folder option which "expires and deletes" messages
after the configured length of time and/or an option to "compress"
the folder (IIRC this only applies to mbox type storage)?

As a data point, I just checked my Inbox directory, which was 1.9 GB.
After running "Compact this Folder" it is 12 MB!

You don't want to delete messages and folders outside of t'bird
because that will break the indexes (there may be an option to
recreate the index, but IME it's better to use the app's built-in
utilities for removal).

I agree with this sentiment but I have never had problems from TB when I
delete files out from under it :)

Cheers, Dave

You can set folders to be compressed automatically:

Edit-->Preferences-->Advanced-->Network and Disk Space

Near the bottom is a check box and a place to set a value.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998