Re: [opensuse] How do i win some space back?
  • From: Holger Hetterich <hhetter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 14:43:06 +0100
Am Montag, den 06.12.2010, 08:37 -0500 schrieb Anton Aylward:
This is one area where the CLI can do things that GUI cannot.

Try commands like "du", "df" and the options for "ls" like "-a" and "-s".

There's baobab on GNOME and I believe kdirstat or similar on KDE. Those
give a graphical representation of the used disc space.

I'd also check to see if your 'mount' operations are hiding files.
For example, a mount of a /tmp/ file system - which is normally a good
thing for various reasons, may hide temporary files created in the boot
sequence (or for some other reason) before the /tmp/ was mounted.

I've set delete TMP dirs on boot in sysconfig, cleaning up my temp dir
from time to time.

Holger

Remember, if you have copied a sparse file with some tools it may have
created the previously absent blocks.

--
An expert is someone who knows some of the worst mistakes that can be
made in his subject and how to avoid them.

--
Holger Hetterich, hhetter@xxxxxxxxxx,
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany