Re: [opensuse] Serial to USB adaptor
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 13:57:37 -0500
On 2010-11-30 Stan offered the following:
I am looking on ebay at a serial-to-usb adapter to use with a trackball
that has a serial connector on its cable. This thing comes with a CD for
Windows. Does anyone know if this is something I can use on a Linux
machine? What would I need to have to use it?
I bought an el-cheapo "gender-mender" type converter from Radio Shack and
plugged
it in .... no software required, from 'Doze or anyone else and it just
works.....threw the 'coaster' that "Doze machines must apparently need for
some
reason away before it contaminated anything :) I think in the case of a
mouse, the
rs-232 is close enough to USB that the little converter (plus it's internal
resistors/diodes/whatever) need no software, just the pin diddling.

This isn't true; it does require software, but the drivers are built-in
and are loaded automatically. There are only a handful of USB/RS-232
chips, the majority of which are supported out-of-the-box. For
instance