Re: [opensuse] multiple kernel versions - how to?
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 19:22:18 +0100
On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 18:56, Lars Müller wrote:
Edit /etc/zypp/zypp.conf and enable
    multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)

I'm not sure if this works in 11.2.  IIRC a list mate reported it as non
working.  Those reporting the issue in the past - I'm not sure if it was
Per or Carlos - might have a reference to bugzilla.

Ahh... I seem to remember something about that too. I tune out 11.2
and earlier.. I'm on 11.3 + Factory (where it def does work both in
zypper and YaST) and 11.4 is only a few months off. 11.2 is old news
:-)

It would be nice if this was an option in the YaST Software manager...

And a bit nicer would be a working default approach as described several
times. See for example:

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2008-09/msg00394.html

Short version:

a) Keep always the currently running and know to boot kernel (and initrd)
  and uninstall only non used kernels/ initrds

This really should be the default... the way openSUSE works now is
frustrating, and I've never agreed with the various excuses people
give for why it's the way it is now... multi-kernel... at least one
version back should really be the default... or if not default an
option (ie you're asked) while installing a new kernel, then an easily
set option in YaST (or worst case, /etc/sysconfig).

b) A default limit to two[0] kernel packages of the same flavor
  - else we risk to use the partition with /boot/ after some time
  - else the current bootloader/ menu.lst gets longer, and longer

Fair point, but it should be possible (via a setting) to keep all
installed kernels.

I don't like seeig us doing this as a "we too" reaction.  I'm sure we
have a well described approach.  With some luck all we need is a bit
perl knowledge to tweak with perl-Bootloader.

Doesn't anyone else like to get this solved in a smart way?

:-P I wish I could... I don't trust my scripting/programming skills...
or lack of skills.

C.