Re: [opensuse] printing from firefox - selecting paper source
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 08:45:17 +0200
David C. Rankin wrote:

Guesses (thoughts):

(1) Test in gimp and tbird and see if you get the same behavior.

Gimp - same behaviour as FF. (same dialogue AFAICT).
Tbird - same behaviour as FF. (same dialogue AFAICT).
OpenOffice, Acrobat - works, but they have their own dialogues.

(2) Check which file chooser backend is used by gtk apps:

gconf-editor: /desktop/gnome/interface/file_chooser_backend
(default: gio) Module to use as the filesystem model for the
GtkFileChooser widget. Possible values are "gio", "gnome-vfs" and
"gtk+".

KDE3 system: gconftool-2 shows "gnome-vfs".
KDE4.5 system: gconftool-2 shows "gio".

I have also had better luck in the past setting up remote printers via
yast2 and defining remote cups printers as samba (SMB) printers. You
can always give this a shot. Lately, doing it the way you describe has
gotten better. My guess is that you are using kde4? (if so -- all bets
are off with its native printer handling)

Yep, KDE4.5. Mind you, it's no better on KDE3, but that's of no
importance.

My only other guess is to fire up tcpdump or wireshark and take a look
at the communications with the printer and post anything that looks
out of whack.

Good Luck Per, post more and I'll guess more :p

Thanks for trying David - dunno how far I'll get with this, printing
from FF is not a priority. I just noticed the problem again the other
day when my son was trying to print out something from a website. I
was hoping for someone to tap me gently with the cluebat ...

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.2°C)