Re: [opensuse] OpenOffice.org forked....
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 17:53:46 +0200
On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 17:35 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 10:08 -0400, Mike McMullin wrote:

Would your IT department prefer one vendor or two for support? Our
IT
guys will not roll out FireFox to the desktops because we "cannot get
a support contract" for it, even though IE keeps crashing at startup.
I figure that many IT departments in SMB are probably in the same
mindset, keep the support simple even if it means paying more than
you have to.

Not just SMB. We are a 9000+ employee company.

I run an SMB - I think SMBs are far more flexible and nimble than the
big massive companies. The latter have people employed only to
determine policy.

We have a whole department. Official fonts, text colors, document
layouts. You name it. And the sad thing here is that these official
templates (and documents derived from them) seldom render properly in
OO. Not little things. Whole sections disappearing when they are in some
text box. It is really frustrating. It would be great if there was a
tool to tell if a layout is properly specified. It would not surprise me
if the docs look this way because they rely on errors in Word. Or,
errors in docs that Word continues to support.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB