Re: [opensuse] remote installation
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 09:41:15 -0400
Per Jessen said the following on 09/29/2010 08:34 AM:

AFAICT (by googling), a PXE server is exactly what I proposed, i.e. a
DHCP+TFTP server. I haven't found any downloadable "PXE server"
package, only instructions for setting one up - which invariably
includes setting up DHCP and TFTP etc. PXE is a software environment
(by Intel IIRC) on the client, not a protocol.

Yup...

Now I have been experimenting with Linux-on-a-stick.
Its not hard to have a grub on a USB boot sector that does a foldback
mount of the ISO image ....

menuentry "Run Ubuntu Live 9.10" {
loopback loop /ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper
iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso splash --
initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}

And one or each and every ISO image you have on the USB stick.

Of course you _also_ have a few local directories like /home an some
config files that overwrite the ones on the ISO ... unless you custom
build your ISOs.

Now I have an old, old laptop that won't boot from USB.
It will boot from the LAN - PXE.

Is there a file to to tell it to boot via PXE from the USB?

--
"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience -- well, that
comes from poor judgement."