Re: [opensuse] remote installation
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:34:48 +0200
G T Smith wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
G T Smith wrote:

IIRC the protocol originally was very low level, usually at network
card MAC/Arp addressing (and normally non-routable as a
consequence).
Therefore, a properly configured PXE server config *is* required

Well, in my setup I have no such PXE server, has worked fine without
it for a good few years. I have DHCP and TFTP though.

The PXELinux config does have the capability of loading a remote image
without the need for a dhcp server. A static temporary TCP/IP address
may be used for image transfer. See PXELinux documentation at...

http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX

Okay, I guess it is possible to use a static/temporary IP address, and
specify/hardcode the tftp-server and the filename to load. I can't get
my HP workstation to do that though - when I boot in PXE, the first
thing it looks is a DHCP response.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.3°C)