Re: [opensuse] OpenOffice.org forked....
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:31:57 +0200
On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 08:34 -0400, Mike McMullin wrote:
On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 10:19 +0200, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 17:59 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

http://www.infoworld.com/d/applications/openofficeorg-developers-break-ties-oracle-985

And a paragraph or so in to this article, in the text as though it was
part of the article, is an advertisement for MS office... Sheesh.

Noticed that huh? :( Certainly a number of distros will be looking
at which version of OOo they include, and perhaps change to this one.

I bet if MS Office was available for Linux, it would be popular. At
least in certain camps. But as MS Office is so integrated into
non-document parts of Windows, I doubt this will happen. Of course, they
have managed to lift out enough to get it to port to Mac OS/X. But MS
just can't compete on price. Still, I wonder if people who want to use
MS Office on Linux would pay the same price for it there as they do on,
say, Mac OS/X? But if MS Office were available for Linux, I think one
big stumbling block to using Linux would be gone. And MS could never
allow that to happen. Even if they do allow that for Mac OS/X.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB