Re: [opensuse] remote installation
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:27:40 +0100

Per Jessen wrote:
Mark Misulich wrote:

On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 17:41 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Mark Misulich wrote:

Hi,
I have been trying to install the os on two computers that won't
boot
from the install dvd. I have been trying to install using tftp and
pxe via lan, but its not working. I think the problem may be that
I don't have the dhcp-server set up correctly on this computer, as
the client computer isn't getting an ip address when it boots with
dhcp.
You should be able to determine that from the /var/log/messages where
your dhcp server is running.

Is it possible to help me with setting up the server correctly? I
don't know how to do this, really, so you will have to expect some
replies that might seem kind of dumb until I learn what to do.
Sure, let us know how far you have gotten.
Hi,
I found this message in /var/log/boot.omsg

Setting up (remotefs) network interfaces:
Setting up service (remotefs) network . . . . . . . . .
.done Starting DHCP server Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server
V3.1.1 Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
/var/lib/dhcp///etc/dhcpd.conf line 16: expecting numeric value.
subnet 192.168.1.0netmask
^
Configuration file errors encountered -- exiting

Okay, so to start with your dhcp server isn't properly configured. Looks
like a blank is missing?

After I installed the dhcp-server program with yast, I also didn't
find a file like /etc/dhcp-server/dhcpd.conf. I did
find /etc/dhcp.conf, and I pasted a sample configuration into it from
the tutorial that I was using. The tutorial didn't go into depth
about how to set up the server.

This is a snippet from my dhcp conf which supports machines botting
etherboot from floppy, then running pxe:

group {
filename "pxelinux.0";
next-server io64.local.net;

host dell1 { hardware ethernet 00:0f:1f:dd:fc:50;
fixed-address 192.168.2.81; }
}

Hmm... not sure a dhcp server is a requirement. I do not run one and
have installed succesfully using PXE in past...

IIRC The PXE client client broadcasts a packet that contains the client
MAC address... a PXE server then responds with the location of a boot
image appropriate for the client associated with the MAC address which
is downloaded and control is passed to that image (PXE is a more
advanced version of BOOTP).

There is a good reference on the SuSE site about installing via PXE
(cannot remember link at moment). Thought there was a gotcha in the TFTP
configuration... But of course to work, PXE support is required (usually
in hardware, though I vaguely remember a reference to a software
solution). No PXE support then forget it....

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup