Re: [opensuse] remote installation
  • From: Bruce Ferrell <bferrell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 13:07:50 -0700
On 09/28/2010 12:39 PM, Mark Misulich wrote:
On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 15:26 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

On 2010/09/28 14:57 (GMT-0400) Mark Misulich composed:

One of the laptops has no internal cd drive, and won't boot from the
external cd drive.

Maybe both are Intel-chipped (most common old laptop chipsets), and you could
do a minimal install on this laptop's HD by temporarily installing it in the
other after figuring out how to install there.

The other laptop has an internal cd drive, but won't boot from the
install dvd. I am not sure why.

The answer is in your own words. :-) If the internal drive were able to read
DVDs it would be called a DVD drive, not a CD drive. ;-)

Neither laptop has an operating system installed. Making more cd's
won't help, the laptops won't boot from them.

Unusual that an old laptop with a CD drive but lacking a floppy drive cannot
be booted from a CD. Not unusual at all that a laptop BIOS must be changed to
enable booting from the CD drive in preference to the HD, which is the more
typical way to install an OS on such laptops. Assuming the CD drive is not
broken if burning
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.3/iso/openSUSE-11.3-NET-i586.iso
and booting it would not work after a necessary BIOS adjustment and CD drive
cleaning I'd be surprised.

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

Hi Felix,
thanks for the reply. The drives actually are dvd drives, I should have
been more correct in my terminology.

One laptop won't boot from the external drive.

The other won't boot from the 11.1, 2, or 3 install dvd's. It won't
boot from Xubuntu 9 or 10 install cd's. It won't boot from EliveCD
install cd. Both Xubuntu and EliveCD install cd's are live cd's,
perhaps that is why they won't boot from them. It will boot from the
PCBSD install DVD, but the graphic's driver is wrong and the screen
won't display properly. I don't really want to put that on there
anyways, or I would play around with the driver.

I thought the easiest thing would be to do the net install starting with
tftp. After all, the polish guy that wrote that article said it was
easy.

It actually is easy once you get the hang of setting up PXE. Below I've
included part of my PXE default file. It lives in /tftpboot/pxeboot.cfg.
/tftpboot/suse/11.3 contains the files linux and initrd taken from
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.3/repo/oss/boot/i386/loader/

default install-11.3-32
prompt 1
timeout 3000

# Install 32 bit i386 Linux 11.3
label install-11.3-32
kernel suse/11.3/linux
append initrd=suse/11.3/initrd splash=silent vga=0x314 showopts
install=http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.3/repo/oss

good luck!