Re: [opensuse] remote installation
  • From: Mark Misulich <munguanaweza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 13:52:57 -0400
On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 19:45 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Mark Misulich wrote:

On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 17:41 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Mark Misulich wrote:

Hi,
I have been trying to install the os on two computers that won't
boot
from the install dvd. I have been trying to install using tftp and
pxe via lan, but its not working. I think the problem may be that
I don't have the dhcp-server set up correctly on this computer, as
the client computer isn't getting an ip address when it boots with
dhcp.

You should be able to determine that from the /var/log/messages where
your dhcp server is running.

Is it possible to help me with setting up the server correctly? I
don't know how to do this, really, so you will have to expect some
replies that might seem kind of dumb until I learn what to do.

Sure, let us know how far you have gotten.

Hi,
I found this message in /var/log/boot.omsg

Setting up (remotefs) network interfaces:
Setting up service (remotefs) network . . . . . . . . .
.done Starting DHCP server Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server
V3.1.1 Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
/var/lib/dhcp///etc/dhcpd.conf line 16: expecting numeric value.
subnet 192.168.1.0netmask
^
Configuration file errors encountered -- exiting

Okay, so to start with your dhcp server isn't properly configured. Looks
like a blank is missing?

After I installed the dhcp-server program with yast, I also didn't
find a file like /etc/dhcp-server/dhcpd.conf. I did
find /etc/dhcp.conf, and I pasted a sample configuration into it from
the tutorial that I was using. The tutorial didn't go into depth
about how to set up the server.

This is a snippet from my dhcp conf which supports machines botting
etherboot from floppy, then running pxe:

group {
filename "pxelinux.0";
next-server io64.local.net;

host dell1 { hardware ethernet 00:0f:1f:dd:fc:50;
fixed-address 192.168.2.81; }
}

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (11.0°C)

I think that the instructions are telling pxelinux.0 to boot then go to
the local net. How do I find the address of the local net?

Then I think that it is telling it to go to the host server, how do I
exactly find the mac and ip addresses for it on the local net?