Re: [opensuse] remote installation
  • From: Mark Misulich <munguanaweza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 12:42:28 -0400
On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 17:41 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Mark Misulich wrote:

Hi,
I have been trying to install the os on two computers that won't boot
from the install dvd. I have been trying to install using tftp and
pxe via lan, but its not working. I think the problem may be that I
don't have the dhcp-server set up correctly on this computer, as the
client computer isn't getting an ip address when it boots with dhcp.

You should be able to determine that from the /var/log/messages where
your dhcp server is running.

Is it possible to help me with setting up the server correctly? I
don't know how to do this, really, so you will have to expect some
replies that might seem kind of dumb until I learn what to do.

Sure, let us know how far you have gotten.

Hi,
I found this message in /var/log/boot.omsg

Setting up (remotefs) network interfaces:
Setting up service (remotefs) network . . . . . . . . . .done
Starting DHCP server Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server V3.1.1
Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
/var/lib/dhcp///etc/dhcpd.conf line 16: expecting numeric value.
subnet 192.168.1.0netmask
^
Configuration file errors encountered -- exiting

If you did not get this software from ftp.isc.org, please
get the latest from ftp.isc.org and install that before
requesting help.

If you did get this software from ftp.isc.org and have not
yet read the README, please read it before requesting help.
If you intend to request help from the dhcp-server@xxxxxxx
mailing list, please read the section on the README about
submitting bug reports and requests for help.

Please do not under any circumstances send requests for
help directly to the authors of this software - please
send them to the appropriate mailing list as described in
the README file.

exiting.
failed

After I installed the dhcp-server program with yast, I also didn't find
a file like /etc/dhcp-server/dhcpd.conf. I did find /etc/dhcp.conf, and
I pasted a sample configuration into it from the tutorial that I was
using. The tutorial didn't go into depth about how to set up the
server.

My lan is my desktop computer connected to my wireless/wired router.
The router is connected to my dsl modem via cable. The laptop computer
that I am trying to install the os on is connected to the router via
cable.