Re: [opensuse] OpenOffice.org forked....
  • From: John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 08:57:27 -0700
On 9/28/2010 4:23 AM, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 12:32 +0200, C wrote:
On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 12:24, Tejas Guruswamy wrote:
I wonder what this means for go-oo that Novell used to run? Will those
changes get merged?

According to the FAQ on the OfficeLibre site.....

Q: What does this announcement mean to other derivatives of OpenOffice.org?

A: We want The Document Foundation to be open to code contributions
from as many people as possible. We are delighted to announce that the
enhancements produced by the Go-OOo team will be merged into
LibreOffice, effective immediately. We hope that others will follow
suit.

So I guess this will be in the OBS soon, and perhaps could be used as a
replacement for openOffice? At least for those willing to see how well
it works compared to the OO code? Perhaps it should be a parallel
install with programs like loffice instead of ooffice, and so on,
allowing openOffice to remain until it is not needed?

Its the same code. At least today. The version number system
remains intact and everything. Since it was GPL they could just
take it and go. So could you.

So it should be and look identical with maybe a name change.

But just because Larry is such a nice guy my bet is there are lawyers
swarming all over it looking for things they can contest.

All and all I feel much better having this project back in the
hands of a small focused organization with nothing better to do.