Re: [opensuse] latest kernel update breaks ATI binary driver
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 03:41:38 +0200
On Monday 27 September 2010, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Sunday, 2010-09-26 at 17:26 +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:
On Sun, 2010-09-26 at 16:08 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:
This link to a hack came up in the forums:

<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1577815&page=2>

It recreates the missing function in the kernel headers.

(I'm not taking sides... I just don't have anything ATI >:-) )

I already posted a fix for the driver in this thread. Note that creating
the function outside the GPL ifdef is in all likelyhood a copyright
violation, you're not allowed to change the license

From a post in our forum:

]> The patch of the fglrx driver code does not work for me since the code
]> is overwritten from the rpm package every time the package is built. If
]> there were a way to patch the code in the RPM package...?

Why are they rebuilding the package *at all*? It is not needed! The binary
driver they already have will work without being rebuilt!

Can somebody post complete instructions? Here, in our forum, or in the
wiki, please?

cd /usr/src/kernel-modules/fglrx
apply the above-mentioned patch
make