Re: [opensuse] Now That Novell is seling the Linux Division...
  • From: DenverD <DenverD@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 09:12:12 +0200

Will Stephenson wrote:
On Thursday 23 September 2010 01:11:41 Philipp Thomas wrote:
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 10:17:51 -0700, Tony Alfrey

<tonyalfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
osted topics and remarks that do not precisely
fit their preconceived notion of acceptability.
They do not fit the topic of the list. And what would be so bad about
moving this discussion to the offtopic list? But I'm giving up. Maybe
it's really time for me to unsubscribe and go where I get what I
wanted in the first place: technical discussions. EOD for me.

Nicely done guys.</sarcasm>

While you are congratulating yourselves on running the "list police" out of
town, remember that Philipp is one of my few low level SUSE colleagues who
cared enough to spend time in here solving user problems down the bottom of
the stack. Are you going to step up and answer those now, between enjoying
your hard-won freedom to discuss the sky falling?

of course your view will be different, but the way i saw it was:

Philipp wanted to play using the rules as _he_ understood them, and
when he couldn't bully the rest into accepting his opinion as the
*only* possible factual understanding of the published "Generic
questions and User to User support for the openSUSE distribution"
[cite: http://lists.opensuse.org/] he picked up *his* ball and went home..

he was no more "run out of town" than is anyone who is frustrated by
reality, and leaves of their own free will when they can't have it the
way they want it, without discussion.

imo: what we have been seeing in this thread (and others in various
mail lists) is a conflict between the reality of the current situation
and the sincere hope by some that if no one talks about it, everything
will be fine and dandy, like chocolate candy.

i'm not certain, but it seems to me that those who might lose a pay
check are the ones who are loudest and most persistent to protest
squarely facing, and making preliminary preparations for potential
realities...[like needing to come up with (or find a new donor for)
the 100k Jos mentioned for electricity/bandwidth/storage]

ymmv,

DenverD