Re: [opensuse] question regarding virtual desktops (KDE)
  • From: Tejas Guruswamy <masterpatricko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 22:08:02 +0100
On 22/09/10 18:34, John Andersen wrote:
On 9/22/2010 10:29 AM, Tejas Guruswamy wrote:
Yeah, the RPMs in the ati driver repository are broken, and the ati
driver installer you download directly from the website is a mess.
If it helps you, I posted a howto build the RPMs using the OBS instead
Its a bit more bandwidth intensive than compiling it yourself, but it
results in a cleaner package - the same quality as the ati repository
but up-to-date and working.
I did this for the recent 10.9 (8.771) driver release and have been
enjoying life since.
http://masterpatricko.blogspot.com/2010/09/building-ati-fglrx-rpms-for-opensuse.html

This looks very interesting.

Will this work for a Mobility Radeon X1400 chipset with the 10.9 driver?

I travel with my laptop a lot, and I find that my Android phone is actually
faster with Google Earth then the Core 2 Duo using mesa.

The instructions wont work exactly as I posted them - you need Catalyst
9.3 (8.593) instead, but this is also available from the OBS. Follow the
instructions I gave, but substitute "ati-fglrxG01" instead of G02 in the
checkout stage, and don't change the source versions - leave them at
8.593. If you get stuck let me know. The package includes patches to
build against kernel-2.6.33.

Regards,
Tejas