Re: [opensuse] question regarding virtual desktops (KDE)
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:03:31 -0400
John Andersen said the following on 09/22/2010 12:41 PM:
On 9/22/2010 4:25 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:

The raedon driver does work for many of us, myself included, so this has
to be one of those "devil in the details" of your configuration, and
unless they are sorted out the enhancements that Will Stephenson talks
of will not be available to you.

It sort of works.

I disagree; for me and presario laptop it works just fine.

But its dog slow.

Compared to what? A dedicated, tuned MS-Windows gaming machine?
As a screen mechanism it is 'instantaneous' to the eye on all the compiz
& 'dancing babies' things I have set up.

Google earth is barely usable.

I disagree. Its quite snappy. Not just the 'photos' put the zoom and pan.

Gaming is out.

No doubt that will depend on the game, and I'm not into a lot of the
highly animated games, but the response I get from the movies clips and
from google earth make me wonder ...

And the ATI distributed
driver packages no longer install.

I can't comment on that, I gave up with those awkward things long ago.
There seemed to be little benefit for the hassle involved.

The lower numbered Mobility Radeon
chipsets are pretty much dependent on Mesa, and its pathetic.

Since I don't run Mesa and since I don't know what you mean by 'lower
numbered', my only observation is that I do run the 'radeon' driver and
this is an older chip-set so may well be 'lower numbered'. If that all
adds up, the once again I disagree with you, not based on theory but
rather that "it works for me".

Perhaps we need some metrics.
I'm not sure glxgears is useful: I just ran it and got figures from 325
to 555. Too much variability; but then this laptop is running lots of
other stuff - cron, samba, mail, akonadi, mysql, a couple of web
browsers ...

--
IOException: Jovian moons misaligned.