Re: [opensuse] question regarding virtual desktops (KDE)
  • From: John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:37:05 -0700
On 9/22/2010 12:23 AM, Will Stephenson wrote:

This kind of organized working is what the ongoing Activities work in KDE
aims
to support. It's an elaboration of the classification possible using virtual
desktops by putting windows on them. Activities includes the desktop
furniture in the context - allowing, for example, a different folder to
provide the desktop icons on each activity, or a different set of app menus
on
the panel. They break the conventional limitations of virtual desktops, by
allowing windows to be members of >1 Activity.

In the near future Activity hints will be available to applications so they
can adapt to the context they are running in, eg "KMail helps me focus by
only
showing the mail folders relevant to the Acme project while I am using the
Acme activity" or "Kopete sets my work IM account Away when I switch to my
Social activity".

The challenge is to make this available so that it is comprehensible and
useful to those without a scientist's ingrained love of order - we've already
all had the "I clicked a button and all my programs went away" response to
virtual desktops from new users.

I hope that's interesting

Will

I would say the Challenge is more to get activities to behave by themselves
and possibly develop some useful widgets (its largely a wasteland of mostly
useless toys) before giving activities control over normal applications.