Re: [opensuse] question regarding virtual desktops (KDE)
  • From: dwgallien <dwgallien@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:34:16 -0400
I wonder if under Desktop Effects, one of the Window Management effects
might be a solution? Box Switch, Cover Switch, and Flip Switch all use
Alt-Tab to scroll through all windows in a pop-up list. Desktop Grid
will display all virtual desktops organized in a grid, showing the
windows that are in each; essentially a magnified view of the Pager (and
you also can drag windows between the desktops here). Present Windows
will display all windows on all desktops or just those windows on the
current desktop or just those windows that belong to the same "class".

Forgot to add . . . Under Virtual Desktops, there are/can be added
keystroke combinations to navigate between the desktops. Personally, I use
Desktop Grid; I didn't mention that in the display, the particular desktop
you are currently on is highlighted. IMO much easier that using the Pager
for determining where you are/want to be.

And fwiw, in KDE 4 like KDE 3 you can define at login whether you want to
start with an empty session vs restore the previous session vs restore a
manually save (at logout) session.

I don't understand you here. You mean "Multiple Desktops -- System Settings",
the tab "Switching"?
There is a list of possible shortcuts, for "next desktop" etc.; I use a few
of them.
However I can't find anything like "Desktop Grid"? Perhaps it is a "desktop
effect"?
I have disabled them, and actually I can't enable them, since the ATI driver
is there, but
when I installed it a week ago, then thereafter the machine badly crashed,
and I had to
re-install Suse (this was with 11.3; with 11.2 the ATI driver worked, however
was incompatible
with the broadcom wireless driver).

The plan is for now to not use the ATI driver, actually starting working with
the laptop
(yet I'm still just installing), and hoping that there will be better drivers
out there later.

Of course, since I have populated all the virtual desktops, I have to use
"restore previous
session".

Oliver

Yes, these are "desktop effects" - as in "I wonder if under Desktop Effects . .
. ".