Re: [opensuse] question regarding virtual desktops (KDE)
  • From: Oliver Kullmann <O.Kullmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 23:14:14 +0100
On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 02:55:49PM -0400, dwgallien wrote:

It seems that upgrading to 4.5 you can't do within the Suse-Yast framework?

Sure you can. Add the 2 repositories here:

http://en.opensuse.org/KDE_repositories#Upstream_Release_.28KDE_SC_4.5.29

In YaST Software Management, navigate to each repository and, just above the
top of the list, click on "switch system packages to the versions in this
repository". (This cannot be done within the released 11.3 upgrade process,
it's an add-on step.)

Thanks. I'll try that once I'm back from the conferences I'm going soon (too
frightened to
try it before).

Right-click on the Pager, check out the various new settings. And when
you hover over a virtual desktop you should see a pop-up that lists all
the windows on that desktop.

This is helpful, but doesn't solve the problem of finding out where you are
right now (say,
after logging in).

I wonder if under Desktop Effects, one of the Window Management effects might
be a solution? Box Switch, Cover Switch, and Flip Switch all use Alt-Tab to
scroll through all windows in a pop-up list. Desktop Grid will display all
virtual desktops organized in a grid, showing the windows that are in each;
essentially a magnified view of the Pager (and you also can drag windows
between the desktops here). Present Windows will display all windows on all
desktops or just those windows on the current desktop or just those windows
that belong to the same "class".

Currently I can't use the desktop effects (ATI driver not working), but
hopefully at some
point I can try it out.

Thanks!

Oliver