Re: [opensuse] Help: desktop completely gone!
  • From: Oliver Kullmann <O.Kullmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 21:30:57 +0100
On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 07:01:23PM +0100, Tejas Guruswamy wrote:
On 21/09/10 18:47, Oliver Kullmann wrote:
thanks! puuuh, back to life!

(The mounting was clear to me, but didn't remember the details.)

So it seems that I should better make changes directly to /etc/profile
(as I always did in the past)?

Anyway, thanks again!

Oliver

Editing /etc/profile.local is still the recommended way as it is not
overwritten on updates/upgrades.
But it should be created from scratch, not as a copy of /etc/profile.
There is code in /etc/profile that loads /etc/profile.local - so if you
copy everything, you end up with a recursive loop and who knows what
might happen! This was probably the source of your crash.
Create /etc/profile.local as an empty file and put in only the specific
bits you want.

I see; works now. I assumed that profile.local would be used instead of profile
(reading through the shell-script and finding out what happens can be done, but
is
not such a trivial matter; I would think explaining in profile, that
profile.local should only
contain the additional bits is a little thing, but can be quite useful).

Thanks!

Oliver