Re: [opensuse] question regarding virtual desktops (KDE)
  • From: Oliver Kullmann <O.Kullmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:08:10 +0100
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 06:15:38PM -0400, dwgallien wrote:

1. From "time to time" it happens that after a restart all Dolphin-windows
are inserted into the taskbar of the last window.

You might want to think about upgrading to 4.5, a *lot* of improvements.

Yet I never dared to perform such an operation. Not that I have a problem
installing software (I develop open-source software myself), but this I
always confine to local installations, while the prospect of me being
unable to work since the desktop somehow crashes I don't like.

It seems that upgrading to 4.5 you can't do within the Suse-Yast framework?

2. How to find out efficiently on which virtual desktop you are on?
It seems that the virtual-desktop-button should show some blackness,
but either if the virtual desktop is empty or has a bit more windows
on it, that this becomes invisible. A solution could be to disable the
useless attempt of showing windows in the buttons, but I couldn't find yet
how to achieve that.

Right-click on the Pager, check out the various new settings. And when you
hover over a virtual desktop you should see a pop-up that lists all the
windows on that desktop.

This is helpful, but doesn't solve the problem of finding out where you are
right now (say,
after logging in).

Also might want to try different themes; you may get more of the contrast
you were looking for.

The Geek-theme helped in general, but the display of the current virtual
desktop is very hard
to see: If I tilt the laptop, to have an optimal angle, and then stare at all
the virtual-desktop-buttons,
then I can see it, but under normal condition at least to me it's not visible.

Thanks!

Oliver