Re: [opensuse] How-to Kernel Upgrade
  • From: phanisvara das <phani00@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 18:22:26 +0530
On Tuesday, September 21, 2010 17:14:30 JULIAN ENRIQUE OSORIO AMAYA wrote:
Greetings

I want to upgrade my 2.6.27.48-0.2-default kernel (openSuse 11.1) to
the last stable release (2.6.35.4)

I followed the instructions from [1] but it didn't upgrade my openSuse
11.1, it installed the 11.3 version

Is there a kernel repository and then add it to zypper and do the upgrade?

Or this [2] is the best way?

[1] http://en.opensuse.org//SDB:System_upgrade
[2] http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_suse

if i understand you correctly, you already upgraded your system to openSUSE
11.3.
do you have any problems with the standard kernel, or do you just want to try
the
'latest & greatest' kernel available?

judging from your question, you don't seem to be too familiar with openSUSE,
but
according to your email signature, you're studying something like "system
engineering" or whatever, and are a long time linux user. it might be useful to
read some more about kernel installation / compilation under openSUSE by
searching
the forums for this topic (http://forums.opensuse.org) or the mailing list
archives (http://lists.opensuse.org/).

you find the kernel repo here:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/

and here's information about the "kernel of the day," a daily snapshot of the
kernel git repository: http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Kernel_of_the_day

needless to say, any of these things may break your system if not done
properly.
(tip: to install a new kernel via yast or zypper but leave the previous kernel
intact, you'll have to edit /etc/zypp/zypp.conf, un-commenting the line that
reads
"multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)").

--
phani.