Re: [opensuse] question regarding virtual desktops (KDE)
  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 13:28:15 +0200
On Monday 20 September 2010 20:21:32 Oliver Kullmann wrote:
1. From "time to time" it happens that after a restart all Dolphin-windows
are inserted into the taskbar of the last window.
I can't understand this statement. Windows don't have taskbars. Do you mean

1) 'from time to time all Dolphin windows are inserted [grouped] in the
taskbar _entry_ of the last Dolphin window?'

or do you mean

2) 'from time to time all Dolphin windows are inserted in the _titlebar_ of
the last window'

1) sounds like the taskbar entries filled the space available to them, so the
taskbar grouped the entries from the same app - middle click to expand

2) sounds like you would be using tabbed window-management (the Grouping entry
on the window (alt-f3) menu, but I need more details to understand the
problem. Please give steps to reproduce with a new user.

2. How to find out efficiently on which virtual desktop you are on?
It seems that the virtual-desktop-button should show some blackness,
but either if the virtual desktop is empty or has a bit more windows
on it, that this becomes invisible. A solution could be to disable the
useless attempt of showing windows in the buttons, but I couldn't find yet
how to achieve that.

The look of the pager depends on the workspace theme. In the Air [openSUSE]
default theme, the pager widget in the panel highlights the active virtual
desktop with a brighter, larger specular highlight. The 'geek' desktop theme,
downloadable from kde-look.org with 'Get New Themes', has a no gradients, 1 px
black outline look and a shading effect only on the active desktop in the
pager.

Another thing you can do is enable 'Desktop Switch On-Screen Display' in the
virtual desktops->switching module to see the desktop number on switch.

HTH

Will
--
Will Stephenson, KDE Developer, openSUSE Boosters Team