Re: [opensuse] Now That Novell is seling the Linux Division...
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:43:39 +0200
On Tuesday 21 September 2010 11:13:41 Simon Caseley wrote:
I think it's positive for SLES / SUSE if VMware buys Novell's Linux
business.

http://www.thevarguy.com/2010/09/16/five-reasons-vmware-may-buy-novell-
suse-linux/

But what does that mean for the MS - Novell licensing deal? Could get
messy and nasty.

On the other hand, there's commentary that VMware is much more
interested in Novell's Mono IP than SLES / SUSE - owning Mono is
definitely one in the eye for Microsoft .NET!

Novell is also sitting on a large cash hoard, which makes it attractive
to, especially, private equity companies.

Mergers and acquisitions are painful, but also positive for the target
- if the deal is done for the 'right' reasons and executed properly. I
worked for a small, privately owned Australian software company (250
employees worldwide) making and deploying records and document
management software (used by an international energy company - not BP,
but on that global scale - and parts of the US DoD amongst others,
but also scaling down to single seat sites). We were acquired by HP in
2008. The merger was initially rocky (cultural differences,
bureaucracy, etc), but once bedded down, fantastic for R&D resourcing
and new market penetration and internationalisation opportunities. HP
clearly wanted a vertically integrated stack (compliance software on
top of HP's document capture and automation, archiving and storage).

If VMware buys Novell's Linux business, it's a compelling value
proposition for VMware customers: my experience is that customers like
integrated solutions from a single vendor.