Re: [opensuse] Problem with mount via device notifier
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 21:56:54 +0200
On Saturday 18 September 2010, Anton Aylward wrote:
When I mount a USB stick via the device notifier, I can't edit or change
attributes of any file.

I seem to own the file and directory and have owner write permission,
according to LS.

Not only can I not modify the file, but I can't chmod or chow/chgrp it
as root either.

It is vfat. The vfat file system has no concept of owner of file permissions,
so it is not surprising that you can't set them. This is why the ownership of
the files on the partition is set with a mount option

The vfat file system also doesn't support any other kinds of attributes. If
that is important to you, you need to reformat your USB stick with a better
file system

Anders